Thursday, December 18, 2008

To Sir, With Love


Within an hour of his death, my cousin and I poured some whiskey and drank a toast to Granddad, a toast taken from the title of the book I'd been reading to him the past two days. To Sir, with love. May he rest in peace.


He was waiting for me to come to him, and his decline once I arrived was stunning in its swiftness. He kept his faculties the entire time, and he died peacefully at home, with loved ones at his side. It has been my role in this family to help ease passings, and perhaps because I have finally fully embraced that role, this passing was the most peaceful yet. I was in a place of love and acceptance, and every thought, every word, every touch was loving and grateful. Thank you for letting me take care of you, it is a priviledge, I told him, after he apologized for his incontinence and need to be cleaned up. Its ok, you can let go now, I projected my thoughts at him. I'll be here to care for the living.


My aunt home from work, I made sure he was comfortable, and then I lay down for a nap, my first bit of sleep in 36 hours. I was unsurprised when my aunt awakened me 90 minutes later to say he was gone. I rose and held his hand and watched the last of his breath leave his lungs and I felt so radiant inside. I could not help but smile through my tears, fully at peace, both with his death, and that of my sister.


The year began with a death and now it ends with one. Another few days and it will be Solstice, when the dying of the light is transformed into renewal. A new year, with new beginnings, and new endings. I can live with that knowledge, just as I can live with the uncertainty of details. Life is a brush that paints in broad, sweeping strokes. When I look ahead, I can see the outline, the dips and curves. But the details, ah, those are completed in the fullness of each moment -- and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The serenity that can rise and flow in harmony with tears of joy and gratitude between life and death is very much in evidence here with this loving tribute to souls at peace with their passing into the light of love and truth.

- SacredTouch

7:23 AM, December 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We feel with you, Silken Voice.

3:28 AM, December 20, 2008  
Blogger Jim Alberty said...

I have a new, but very good, friend who just lost her ex-husband a couple of days ago. She is off "up North" taking care of her children and her ex's memorial. Since I'm down here I've been wondering what more I can do than be present and loving when she comes back.

You post tells me how. Thank you for your gentle sharing.

"All will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of thing will be well" - Julian of Norwich.

8:39 PM, December 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home