Thursday, June 19, 2008

Final days in San Francisco


My time in San Francisco draws to a close, and I will shortly resume Life, Interupted. There are things I am going to miss: my family, my friends, the golden sunlight, the quiet days. However, there are things I am not going to miss: doctors and nurses, medicine, hot, dry, dusty air, and the restlessness that comes from being inactive.

Most especially I will miss MR, who has been a far better host and companion to me than I have been a guest. He has tolerated all of the medical paraphernalia scattered everywhere, and my need to hook up my IV every 8 hours. When I want sushi, he takes me for sushi. When I want steak, he takes me to a steakhouse. When I want to get out of the house, takes me to the movies or to mini-golf or he just gives me the keys to his Z3. In all fairness, though, I give as good as I get. His house is clean, his is laundry done, his back is massaged regularly, and I do fill the gas tank.

I've just realized that in the past six months I have worked just 6 weeks, and that I have spent more time at his place than at my own. Tammy's death, Caro's cancer, Terri's heart attack, Chrissy's kidney stones, and then my own hospital adventure. Its been costly in so many ways and I am so looking forward to going home and getting a handle on my personal finances. There is nothing like paying for a funeral and helping sick relatives make ends meet to lay waste to savings. Thankfully, I have medical insurance.

One of the highlights of my being stuck here in San Francisco was seeing my very dear friends K and C and meeting for the first time the little girl they adopted a few years ago. For all the challenges she faces, she is a terribly bright child, and I have confidence in their abilities to provide her a loving home in which to thrive. I would have liked to see more of them, but he was here to speak at the Apple conference and I didn't have the stamina to keep up with a 7 year-old for very long.

I wish I could say I'd done some writing and recording, but I haven't. Along with the meltdown in my health, I have experienced technological challenges with my cell phone and my laptop. Ah well.

From all accounts, my friends in Portland are eagerly awaiting my return. I've multiple invitations to dinner, to snuggle, to movies, etc. I expecially look forward to resuming my activities in the LoveTribe and ecstatic dance communities.

Watch out Portland! Here I come!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After a lot of time spent with relatives who were sick or worse, and your own medical adventure, I am pleased that you are returning home to pick up normality.

And then you didn't even mention the spanking you deserved for not taking enough care of your health.

For someone who is giving as much as you are, you have to accept to take care of yourself first, or else you cannot give to others.

11:07 AM, June 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home