Monday, April 28, 2008

To mother on her 58th birthday


Happy 58th Mom, where ever you are
Is there life beyond death
beyond the chalk and ashes of your corpse
turned to fish food
in the shoals off the Big Island
I imagine flocks of tropical beauties glistening
like gilt tears and you some part of them
just as I am the first leg
of a three-legged stool birthed by you
I lost the middle leg, Mom, I'm sorry
Did you know Tammy died?
Is she there with you if you're anywhere?
When you died the chorus of duckbilled platitudes claimed you'd be
watching
that you'd be watching over us
and if you are
if you are watching
don't you feel fucking helpless?
Another year has passed
Tammy gave up, like you
she died
and Terri tried to murder herself
again
I am a three-legged stool with a leg broken
and another missing entirely
I am my mother's daughter
I am strong, but for your birthday
I'd like to give you my strength
and let you bear the weight
while I watch over you
Happy 58th Mom, where ever you are

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My intuition tells me these two references might prove helpful:

Journey of Souls (Michael Newton)

http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2008/03/connecting-with-the-dead-during-readings/

- SacredTouch

5:03 AM, April 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The premature passing of a parent can be a relief from suffering, but it does not deminish the feeling of loss and the void left forever. To her 58th, and many returns for you.

11:34 AM, May 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home