Wednesday, May 28, 2008

In hospital

May got off to a good start. I was having a lot of fun.

Then I caught a flu bug from a colleague that hammered my immune system.

Then I got an ingrown hair. It got infected. I got some antibiotics for it.

I flew to CA to see my sister and celebrate her first round of chemo. And never made it to see her. The infection turned septic and I ended up in the hospital, 550 miles from home and 3 hours away from family. I've been here since the 16th of May. I've had two surgeries and nearly 2 weeks of IV antibiotics and they want me to do two more. I'm trying to get out on home health care and a PICC line for IV antibiotics--MR has graciously offered to take me in for the duration of the illness. This, despite the fact the needles and IVs and blood and such make him squeamish. But he's just a mile or two from the hospital, and they don't want me to go far.

Life is absurd. I laugh about it most of the time. And when the pain or the boredom gets to be too much, I look out the window at my million dollar view of San Francisco and try not to cry.

On the up side, I've got my laptop now, and limited wifi, and soon I won't have to endure any more needles in my arms. Yay!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have had such a rough time this year. Yet you remain such an authentic and lovely voice amidst all the tinsel.I hope you are all right.

5:24 PM, May 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa, holy crap. Hope things improve soon. -g.

9:49 AM, May 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home