Sunday, December 23, 2007

Solstice on the Coast


It is quiet here. Very quiet, except for the wind and the surf. It sounds like there is an airco engine running outside. The seagulls are grounded. The dunegrass and brambles are waving at me, trying to get my attention. I think they want inside. The sea is gray-green--big stormy swells with colliding whitecaps in a rush to reach the shore.

I am listening to Dead Can Dance's Toward the Within album. The Piece for Solo Flute with its haunting melody provides a soothing counterpoint to nature's rage. Solstice has passed, the sun is reborn. The days will grow longer, and yet Winter has formally begun.

There is a New Year on the horizon, hovering out there in the fog and mist, as yet unformed. I have great hopes for that New Year... and no small amount of dread. Who will I chose to be to meet the challenges and opportunities of 2008? Looking into the future is like looking into that mist, and the only certainty right now is my sister's Jan 2nd surgery to remove the cancer growing inside her.

The coffee is brewed and the muffins are cool enough to eat. My friends are awake. Time to start my Sunday.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger kujmous said...

Peace be with you and yours this year. May you find surprises and miracles around every waking minute, and may you know that you are in the hearts of all you have known.

You mean more than you have ever been told, my friend. Never doubt your impact on the world. I can feel it all the way over here.

3:30 PM, December 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home