Sunday, October 19, 2008

Boston


My companion and I had a wonderful time in Boston. The weather, for mid-October, was quite good. The days were either overcast and almost-balmy, or sunny and brisk. We were rained-on only once, and briefly at that, and it felt good. Boston is one of those cities that has grown organically, not unlike most European cities, and so it is almost impossible to get around in via car. We bought transit passes and rode the T most of the time. I enjoy people-watching except when the conditions are too crowded, at which point I stare inward. When there are too many people around me it is oppressive. Every person has their own sphere of energy, and many people project it, and I can feel them all around me, pressing. My companion was wonderful. He always knew when I was feeling over-crowded. I'm not sure if it showed on my face or if he was sensitive to the changes in my own energy, but he would ask after me, hold my hand, and occasionally distract me with kisses. The kisses, of course, were delightful.

The Museum of Fine Arts is huge, and the quality of the artwork and the displays was above reproach. They even allowed photography. The Boston Commons is a lovely park criss-crossed with broad walkways and containing well-placed statuary. The roasted nuts were wonderful to hold, a treat for my nose and my chilled fingers. The Aquarium was fun. I particularly enjoyed watching the penguins and the jellyfish. The central, multi-story aquarium was massive and the flow of fish was hypnotic. It suffers in comparison to the aquarium in Monterey, CA, which I visited in February, but given the space they have to work with, it is a fine facility. I saw Dark Knight on the IMAX at the Aquarium. It was a brilliant film, engrossing and thrilling to watch on such a large screen. We did a tour of the city by road and water. The cruise on the Charles River at sunset was truly lovely, if a bit cold. Boston is loaded with Irish pubs. We stopped at one near Faneuil Hall and I ordered shepherd's pie and Sam Adam's Oktoberfest brew. It was a good meal, filling and warming. On our final day we went to the JFK Museum and Library. It is a beautiful setting and a well-designed facility. He was dead before I was born, and while I'd known of JFK most of my life, it was refreshing to get a glimpse of the past from primary materials. Jack and Jackie brought something to Washington that has been missed ever since -- the hope and energy of youth. I would have voted for him, I know that.

It was a wrench, leaving Boston, leaving my companion. I have loved him for years, and sometimes it is years between seeing each other, despite our best efforts. Friend of the soul, heart of my heart. Of everything I experienced during our vacation -- he was my favorite part.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely description of your trip. Thank you for sharing this.

- SacredTouch

7:08 PM, October 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And thank whomever deserves the credit for initiating and finishing the "big dig". Such a massive infrastructure project, taking years of construction in a lovely city, continuing against protests over the budget overrun. The end result is well worth it, pushing thr[o]u[gh] traffic underground and giving the city center back to the people. In my view that's worthy of JFK's Profile of Courage award.

3:37 AM, October 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Kay needs her space. Lord forbid those sensitive nipples brush against all those commuters and students on the T line. Or perhaps, that might make it more bearable to ride the subway.

3:41 AM, October 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home