Wednesday, September 14, 2005

"The Bitch in the House"

I've been reading "The Bitch in the House", edited by Cathy Hanuer. The premise is women writing a response to the question "Why are women angry?" Cathy woke up one day and realized that she had everything she could possibly want: a house in the country, two children, a good husband, a great career...and despite all that, she was mad as hell. She talked to her women friends, who were also primarily writers, and they were all angry, too. So she asked them to write about their rage, and the book came about.

Some of the essays I relate to, some of them I don't. I mean, women writing about how they miss the boys their husbands once were, or how their children's demands cut into their "me time" doesn't really affect me...I don't have a husband, don't have children, and don't have any angst about the lack of either, as some of the single writers do in the book. Still, its a great glimpse into the female psyche, from some very well-spoken and educated women.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home