Saturday, July 08, 2006

Conversation on gender relations


Friend: I don't understand why you are keeping him at arms-length.

Me: In ways I don't trust men when it comes to romance, you know that.

Friend: That's obvious. Yet its such a paradox. You prefer men for friends and lovesr, yet, you don't trust us.

Me: Men don't know what they want. They say things they think they mean; and they ask for everything, and then, when they have all a woman has to give, its suddenly too much for them. I've seen it again and again and I've never allowed that to happen to me. I've always held something back and my lovers always pushed for more. They expect it from women. 'Why can't you love me like I love you?' they ask. 'Because you love the mystery and when there is nothing in reserve no mystery remains,' I answer.

Friend: I can understand that, but I think there is a difference between letting yourself enjoy someone and trusting them completely. You don't have to have the latter in order to experience the former.

Me: Well, what do you prefer.... A woman who gives it all up and loves you with everything she is, or a woman who gives you what she thinks you are capable of appreciating and keeps her core-self inviolate?

Friend: I'm not really sure, to be honest.

Me: There you are. Another example of a man not knowing what he wants from women :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel like we (men) are seen as nothing more than children. Granted, I do like a childlike attitude from time to time, but I'm also an adult. Capable of making decision and at the very least earning trust. This has nothing at all to do with the fact that I'm a man, but a grown-up (more or less).

I can understand not wanting to reveal everything you are, but do we (men) have to take the blame for it?

Of course, the conversation could also be tongue and cheek. I always have a hard time telling. If it is, then disregard above. Hell, you can disregard this anyway. I'm just whining anyway.

6:53 PM, July 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well.. what do you prefer? a man incapable of handling all? or a man who won't settle for less? grinss at ya..

9:30 PM, July 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home